Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Going from Ordinary to Extraordinary

Have you ever had a mountain top experience spiritually, emotionally, or professionally? Have you ever been at a loss to truly describe something you experienced? Well, that is exactly were I am right now. I will try to put words to my feelings of joy, anticipation, and excitement.

This past weekend, I attend my 3rd "She Speaks" Conference offered by Proverbs 31 Ministries (www.proverbs31.org). I knew the Lord had something special but I was unsure what that was. I always come to this conference expecting one thing and going away with more than I even imagined. I learned long ago to not put God in a box (try to limit what He is able to do based on my own human ideas).

The Friday evening session of the conference, presented by Lysa Terkeurst (www.lysaterkeurst.blogspot.com) was the beginning of my wonderful weekend journey. The verse that stood out to me the most was Acts 4:13-"When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus." (NIV)

Wow. Christ spent time with ordinary men. The rulers, elders, and teachers in Jerusalem could see this very clearly. Yep, these were just ordinary men. But, the fact that they had been around Jesus, in His presence, spending time listening to His teachings--this changed them. They showed courage. They astonished people with their teachings.

Could it be that because I too spend time with Jesus, studying His Word, praying, meditating on scripture,...could this change me from ordinary to extraordinary? Well, scripture suggests that "being with Jesus" does change people. I am not an extraordinary person. However, when I spend time in the scriptures, when I pray, when I wait on God's truth to teach me, I am changed from ordinary to extraordinary. It is only by the grace of God that this happens.

What about you? Do you regularly spend time studying God's Word? Do you take time daily to pray-to praise God, thank Him for the blessings He has given you, confess your sins to Him and receive His cleansing, and present your prayer requests to Him believing that He is able to answer them in His perfect time? I encourage you to develop a daily habit of Bible study. This time with the Savior will take you from ordinary to extraordinary.

In His Service,

No comments:

Post a Comment