Monday, February 22, 2010

Competing in the Games

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." (1 Cor. 9:24-25)

Only the best of the best even make it to the Olympics. I love listening to the stories of how various Olympic athletes have persevered and made it to the Olympic games. Often, various members of the athlete's family are interviewed. Stories of races won and races lost have gone into making that particular athlete the best they can be.

Athletic training takes lots and lots of time, energy, and money. It is important to try and get the best coach, spend hours and hours honing skills and strengthening muscles.

As a skier myself, I know a little of what it takes to actually ski down a slolam course (and survive) but clearly not at the top speeds of the world's greatest athletes. As a mom, I am trying to instill the importance of hardwork into my children. As I sit and watch the Olympics with them, we marvel at the precision of each athlete when they are competing.

As a Christian mom, I cannot help but think that ultimately, I want my children (and myself) to recognize that everyday we should be training to share Christ with others, treat others as Christ would do, and build others up in their faith. We can only do that if we have studied God's truths in scripture (just as an Olympian studies their chosen sport).

I desire to get the crown that will last forever and I desire that for each of my children. Teaching them God's Word, teaching them how to study God's Word for themselves, and then living it out daily is important for our training.

I challenge you to not only run the race Christ has set before you but do it in such as way as to win the prize--the crown Christ Himself will give us.

With love and perseverance,

No comments:

Post a Comment